There has been a lot of controversy about where Nectar mattresses are made in the past. A few years ago, Nectar used to say that their beds are assembled in the USA. However, it was discovered that they are made in China, and there is no assembling or manufacturing done locally. As a shopper who wants to buy a Nectar mattress, this information may be confusing. You don’t have to worry about that anymore because Sleep Aim is here to clarify everything.
Are Nectar Mattresses Made in the US?
Absolutely not! As mentioned above, Nectar used to lie that their mattresses are assembled in the US. It was not until the Federal Trade Commission intervened that Nectar was prohibited from making false claims.
So, where are Nectar mattresses made? These beds are made in China and are imported to the US after being assembled. Nectar only stores mattresses in the US as they await shipment to the respective clients.
For a while now, Nectar mattresses have been made in China. It was only recently when they expanded to the UK because of the high demand for their beds. Currently, Nectar mattresses are brought into the country from China or UK.
Why are Nectar Beds Made in China?
Even though Nectar hasn’t shared why it took its mattress manufacturing to China, we have some theories behind this move. China has got a high number of skilled and affordable labor. Compared to the US, where labor is quite expensive, mattress manufacturers such as Nectar prefer to utilize that to keep their production costs low.
The other theory behind Nectar manufacturing mattresses in China is access to inexpensive raw materials. China is one of the leading countries blessed with a wide range of raw materials. This also helps keep the production costs low. When you merge these two benefits, China is a cost-effective place for your products to be manufactured in. The beds are packaged and shipped in bulk to the US for deliveries when they are ready.
Was Nectar Charged for Making False Claims about Their Mattress Assembly?
In 2018, Nectar found itself on the wrong side of the law when the Federal Trade Commission charged them with making misleading allegations. Back then, Nectar used to say that their mattresses were designed and assembled in the US. When the FTC investigated, they discovered that the mattresses were imported straight from China. No assembly takes place on US soil.
Nectar Sleep mattresses weren’t the only ones in trouble. DreamCloud was also affected since it’s co-owned by Nectar. Since Nectar could not prove that the mattresses are assembled in the US, they were prohibited from using such statements. The good news is that Nectar agreed to stop making such claims, and thanks to the efforts of the FTC, mattress shoppers now know that Nectar and DreeamCloud beds are made in China.
Why Would Nectar Lie about Assembling Mattresses in the US?
From the perspective of a mattress shopper, it sounds odd why would a big company such as Nectar lie about where they assemble mattresses. However, from a manufacturer and seller’s point of view, it makes a lot of sense.
The tagline ‘made in the USA’ carries a lot of power. It’s not just here, but everywhere globally. Products made in the US are known to adhere to quality standards. Unfortunately, the same can’t be said for products made in China.
Back then, Nectar was well aware of the implications of telling the truth that their beds are made in China. Nectar had to lie to remain competitive and relevant in the US market. This, however, isn’t a valid excuse because people still buy a lot of things made in China. As long as Nectar ensures its mattresses are durable and comfortable, there is no need to lie about where the manufacturing occurs.
Besides the above, Nectar mattresses also lied because most beds made in China contain fiberglass. During that period, there wasn’t a lot of awareness about the use of fiberglass fire socks. However, Nectar was a step ahead. Beds made in the US ought to have a flame retardant. Mattress manufacturers in China don’t use flame retardants because this law isn’t enforced there. If they must use one, they will go for fiberglass because it’s cheap.
By lying that their mattresses are made in the US, sleepers and shoppers would never suspect Nectar mattresses do contain fiberglass. This lie may have worked in their favor, but everything is in the open now.
Will I Incur the Shipping Costs of Importing a Nectar Mattress from China?
Since Nectar mattresses are made in China and the UK, does that mean buyers will cater for shipping costs? Not really. Nectar outsources production to China, and the beds are imported in bulk and stored in a warehouse in the US. From there, the beds are distributed to interested buyers. The only shipping fees buyers pay for are the mattress’s delivery from a US warehouse to your home.
Where Is Nectar Mattress Located in the US?
Just because Nectar mattresses are made in China and the US doesn’t mean they have no physical presence locally. Nectar is based in Palo Alto, California. Please note that this is an operations center and not a manufacturing facility.
Should You Buy a Nectar Mattress?
If you have settled on buying a Nectar mattress, you should highly consider the above information. As you ponder on the fact that these beds are made in China and the UK, we will list some of the pros and cons of this mattress so that you can make an informed choice.
Pros of Buying a Nectar Mattress
- These beds have a one-year trial period. During this period, you can test the limits of a Nectar bed and determine whether it’s perfect for you. Shouldn’t you be pleased with what this mattress offers, you can always return and get a refund. This trial does have some limitations. Make sure that you thoroughly understand the terms before buying.
- Compared to other memory foam mattresses, the Nectar bed is known to sleep way cooler. These beds are designed to be breathable. If you are a hot sleeper and prefer the hugging sensation of memory foam, you can give it a try.
- Memory foam beds offer a decent amount of sinkage. It’s perfect for sleepers who are interested in relieving pressure points.
- It dips and sags prematurely. One of the main complaints made against Nectar mattresses is about their durability. As one may expect from a bed made in China, the Nectar mattress isn’t made with high-quality materials. There are tons of reviews from average-weight people claiming that their Nectar beds started dipping a few months after purchase. Can you imagine what would happen to such a bed if a heavy person sleeps on it?
- Nectar mattresses have also been in the limelight for not providing adequate support. If you are a side or back sleeper, you will be more comfortable on another bed type.
- Finally, Nectar mattresses contain fiberglass. Nectar has denied this for a while now. But it wouldn’t be the first time they have lied to their clients. Remember the made-in-USA claims? There are many customer experiences of fiberglass contaminations associated with Nectar mattresses. Buying such a mattress puts you at risk of the harmful effects of this material.
Even though Nectar mattresses have some decent features, many complaints have been reported. If you want to read about more complaints launched against Nectar mattresses, here is an article that discusses this topic extensively.
How Do I Know Where a Mattress is Made From?
Identifying the country of origin of your mattress is pretty simple. You have to check the label on the mattress, also known as the tag. It should be written made in the US or China, or whichever country. Alternatively, that information should be provided by the mattress manufacturer in the description.
What Mattresses are Made in the USA?
A mattress made in the US ought to have a flame retardant because the law dictates so. In most cases, it will also be made using quality materials. For years, made in the USA has been used as a marketing tool by many companies. It is a label that comes with pride. As a mattress shopper, you have full rights to choose the country you want to buy from. If you have settled on buying a locally made mattress, here are the top brands you should familiarize yourself with.
- Saatva – Let alone being manufactured in the US, all Saatva components are also sourced and assembled locally. Saatva mattresses arrive in new factory conditions.
- Puffy – This is another famous mattress company that proudly makes its beds in the US.
- Helix – The Helix mattress manufacturer has got facilities all over the US where the materials are hand-crafted and used to build quality mattresses.
- Amerisleep – To cut costs, Amerisleep mattresses are designed and assembled in Indiana, US.
- Tuft and Needle – Serta Simmons Bedding owns the Tuft and Needle. These mattresses are made here in the US.
Q: Where are Nectar memory foam mattresses made?
A: In China and UK.
Q: Is Nectar a Canadian company?
A: Not really. Nectar is an American company that outsources its mattress production in China and UK.
Q: Is Nectar a real mattress company?
A: Yes, Nectar is a real mattress company with offices in Palo Alto, California. They make a wide range of beds, and it’s a famous brand.
A few years ago, Nectar came clean about making their mattresses in China. The beds are imported from there once they have been assembled and are sold to shoppers in the US. Since DreamCloud is co-owned by Nectar, their mattresses are also not made in the US.