There are plenty of reasons why you may consider buying a mattress from Sleep Innovations. This brand specializes in manufacturing budget-friendly memory foam mattresses, with the Marley being its top-selling model. They also make hybrid mattresses, pillows, mattress toppers, and much more. You can shop for Sleep Innovations mattresses from third-party stores like Walmart, Wayfair, and Best Buy. But before you start exploring various mattress models from Sleep Innovations, it’s crucial to first figure out if they are fiberglass-free.
If you don’t want to end up with fiberglass contamination in your home, it’s a good idea to research whether Sleep Innovations mattresses contain fiberglass. That will be our key topic of discussion in today’s article. We will also be sharing a few shocking details about fiberglass and the Sleep Innovations mattresses.
Do Sleep Innovations Mattresses Contain Fiberglass?
Sleep Innovations mattresses do contain a certain percentage of fiberglass inside them. We confirmed this from several customer reviews on Amazon.
A customer named Jessica left a review on the Marley mattress on Amazon in April 2023. She mentioned that her roommate bought this mattress last year and it was indicated in the tag that it contains 22% fiberglass.
The other user, Alan, confirms that he got in touch with the manufacturer who agreed that they use 15% fiberglass in their Sleep Innovations mattresses. Beneath that post is another confirmation from a different user that these mattresses currently contain fiberglass.
The interesting part about this whole fiberglass fiasco is that a few years ago, Sleep Innovations had denied the presence of fiberglass in their mattress. In a post that was written in 2018, the Sleep Innovations customer care representatives claim that their mattresses do not use fiberglass. Instead, they use a fiber woven into the mattress cover.
This is quite suspicious considering that other mattress brands have also lied in the past about the presence of fiberglass in their mattress. But no matter what their customer representatives say, there is enough proof from their customers that Sleep Innovations mattresses do contain fiberglass and should be approached with caution.
Why Do Sleep Innovations Use Fiberglass?
The US government under the 16 CFR 1633 regulation requires all mattresses to be able to withstand exposure to fire for thirty minutes. For manufacturers to ensure their mattresses pass this regulation, they must add a fire barrier.
Formaldehyde, a popular chemical flame retardant in the past, was banned because of off-gassing harmful fumes. Therefore, mattress manufacturers had to explore various alternatives which include fiberglass. Unlike formaldehyde, fiberglass doesn’t off-gas and it performs exceptionally well as a flame retardant. This is one of the main reasons Sleep Innovations prefers to use this material.
The other reason is that fiberglass is a cheap material. If you look at the price tag of all Sleep Innovations mattresses, you will notice that they are pretty affordable. To ensure their prices remain low, Sleep Innovations prefers to use cheaper materials like fiberglass.
Does Sleep Innovations Marley Have Fiberglass?
Sleep Innovations’ top-selling mattress, the Marley, also contains fiberglass. Being a memory foam mattress that’s under $300, it doesn’t come as a surprise that it is woven with a fiberglass fire sock. Marley is Sleep Innovations’ favorite mattress. They are always advertising and praising its features. Many sleepers appreciate the decent price, cooling technology, and comfort. However, the biggest drawback to the Marley mattress is the presence of fiberglass beneath the cover.
If you are considering buying the Sleep Innovations Marley, we would advise you to never open the cover. You should also use it with a quality mattress cover. This will keep you further from the fiberglass.
What are the Side Effects of Sleeping on Fiberglass?
For those of you who have never been affected by fiberglass contamination, you may be wondering what’s all this fuss about fiberglass usage in mattresses. If you bring a mattress that contains fiberglass in your home such as those from Sleep Innovations, you are exposing yourself to side effects such as;
- Skin Irritation – We spend all night sleeping on our mattresses. So, as you toss and turn on a fiberglass mattress, there is a high risk of making contact with fiberglass particles. Mattress covers wear out eventually. When that happens the fiberglass beneath escapes to the surface and if it touches your skin, you will wake up feeling irritated all over your body. You may develop rashes or blisters if your skin is sensitive.
- Irritation of the Respiratory Organs – If you think that skin irritation is a bad experience, wait till you breathe in fiberglass particles. Fiberglass is a lightweight material that can get suspended in the air. if it starts to leak through your cover, you will find yourself sneezing, coughing, or dealing with watery eyes. These side effects are usually short-term.
- Agitation of Certain Health Conditions – For people living with bronchitis or asthma, breathing in fiberglass particles can agitate your health condition. It may worsen the symptoms thus forcing you to seek immediate medical attention.
- Stress and Anxiety – Knowing that the mattress in your bedroom has fiberglass, you will lead an anxious life. You will always be worried about the day fiberglass particles will start to leak through the cover. As if that’s not enough, when your home is contaminated with fiberglass, it will be pretty stressful for you to deal with this scenario. If you want to have peace of mind, always go for a fiberglass-free mattress.
Can You Remove Fiberglass from Sleep Innovations Mattresses?
Removing fiberglass from the Sleep Innovations mattress is next to impossible. You can do it but it will take forever and you will need special tools. Fiberglass in mattresses is usually a woven layer of fiberglass strands. This material isn’t like plastic which you can just cut and pull away.
Besides that, fiberglass is a dangerous material to expose yourself and the environment to. For fiberglass to be removed from a mattress, you will need to remove the cover. Since these particles can escape into the air, they can easily spread to other rooms and affect more people. So, you shouldn’t remove fiberglass from a Sleep Innovations mattress.
How Do I Know If a Mattress Has Fiberglass?
After finding out that Sleep Innovations mattresses contain fiberglass, it’s normal to be suspicious of other bed brands. To ensure you are safe no matter what mattress brand you go for, here are some tips on how you can tell if a mattress has fiberglass;
- Reading the label – This is how Jessica in the review mentioned earlier discovered Sleep Innovations mattresses contain fiberglass. Most mattress brands list their ingredients on the label. By checking it, you can always know if it contains fiberglass.
- Going through the description online – Similar to the label, some brands also list materials used in the description. By thoroughly reading through the description, you can know whether a particular bed is free of fiberglass. Some malicious brands may withhold this information in their description.
- Inquiring from the sales representative or company – In case you can’t find any information about fiberglass usage in a particular mattress, you can always reach out to the company. They can clarify whether their mattresses have fiberglass or not.
- Reading third-party reviews – This is the best place for you to find the truth about fiberglass in mattresses. Third-party reviews are often made by fellow customers. They are therefore more authentic than the company claims. Platforms such as Reddit and Quora can provide you with unfiltered information about the presence of fiberglass in certain mattresses.
- Familiarizing yourself with common red flags – There are a few red flags that are associated with fiberglass mattresses. For instance, if the mattress is a memory foam and it’s very cheap, there is a high chance it contains fiberglass. Also, if it’s made in China, approach it cautiously.
Should You Buy a Sleep Innovations Mattress?
Well, that depends on your preferences. Are you comfortable sleeping on a fiberglass mattress? Fiberglass aside, Sleep Innovations mattresses get a lot of complaints related to premature sagging and heat retention. One of their main attributes is that they are affordable. This is probably why they are so popular.
However, price isn’t always the main deciding factor when mattress shopping. Instead of risking your health, comfort, and property by sleeping on such a mattress, you should consider a fiberglass-free mattress like the ones made by Saatva. This brand makes quality mattresses integrated with impressive technology. Saatva mattresses only use natural flame retardants. This means you don’t have to worry about fiberglass particles escaping through the cover.
Sleep Innovations mattresses may seem like the best choice if you are shopping on a budget. However, doesn’t it make more sense to spend more money but be assured of safety? The presence of fiberglass in Sleep Innovations mattresses is quite scary. You never know when these particles can escape and contaminate your entire home. If you were considering buying a mattress from this brand, we strongly advise you to take a step back and weigh out your options