The Purple Mattress has gained plenty of acclaim over the last few years. Made to fit every form, type of sleeper, and bedframe, the Purple Mattress is a unique product… but we think we have five mattresses that rival it.
Want to know which five mattresses are the best Purple alternatives in 2022? We investigated what they are, what they do, and where you can get them from. Read on for alternatives to the Purple mattress.
What is the Purple Mattress?
The Purple Mattress emerged onto the bedding industry scene back in 2015. Based out of the USA, the company specialized in selling mattresses straight to the consumer. The Purple Mattress team were two brothers who made carbon fiber sporting equipment by trade. Their first business was called EdiZone LLC and held 23 trademarks on innovative products in America.
However, the two brothers’ big break came in 2013, when they developed a patented machine that was big enough to mold the shape of a bed into rubber with a single cut. This technology opened up a world of possibilities for the pair but eventually led them to create plans for a mattress. They took the plans to the online crowdfunding platform Kickstarter and raised $171,560 for the product. The bed followed in 2015, one of the first-ever crowdfunded mattresses out there.
The company went on to merge with the Global Partner Acquisition Corp in 2017, but mattress production is still going strong. It now goes by the name of Purple Innovations Inc., a good move by the branding department. It allows the company to cash in on the attention brought about by the Purple Mattress. In the past few years, it has managed to become a household name.
What’s so Special About it?
What’s so special about the Purple Mattress? Aside from being a trailblazer in the crowdfunded mattress arena, the Purple Mattress was one of the earlier mattresses only to be available online. The company didn’t have any stores. Although this idea seems normal now, as little as five years ago, it was still fresh.
The Purple uses a hyper-elastic polymer grid style of technology to produce comfort. It was a first in terms of this idea, too. A handful of competitors have tried to imitate the pressure-point support given by the grid in the inner layers of the Purple Mattress. Still, none have been successful in copying the technology precisely.
The hyper-elastic polymer grid features memory foam with a difference. It doesn’t feel like other beds feel.
There are now three variants of the Purple Mattress: the Hybrid, Hybrid Premier, and the original. They tend to sit between medium and firm on the firmness scale and should support any sleeper: back, stomach, or side.
Here are The 5 Best Purple Mattress Alternatives in 2022
Below, we have scoured the marketplace to find the best possible Purple mattress alternatives that we think will rock their way through 2022.
The Saatva Classic Mattress is a flagship hybrid model released by the company as its first product. To date, the company has amassed more than 2 thousand reviews on its site for this one product. Straight away, we can see that the Saatva far outshines the Purple in terms of product longevity.
Based out of New York, Saatva was ranked the 101st of Inc.’s best 500 retailers of the year. Its current focus is providing eco-friendly mattresses with top comfort features, including marrying environmental protection with a great night’s sleep.
Saatva specializes in affordable luxury, and this is no exception. Let’s talk about the construction of the Saatva then run through the other elements that make it so unique.
Construction of the Saatva Mattress
The top layer of the Saatva mattress is made from breathable, hypoallergenic organic cotton. It is treated with Guardin botanical antimicrobial treatments to prevent bacterial residue. This layer is a Euro quilted pillow top that’s three inches thick.
The second piece of technology that has gone into the Saatva is the supportive edges. Saatva calls this its high-density foam durable edge support system. It provides firmer boundaries to the mattress, which should stop it from sagging over time.
The edge helps seal in the middle layer of pocketed coils. These are wrapped in memory foam and are made from recycled steel. The mattress has 884 of these for tailored support that molds to the shape of your body and a dual-coil system to promote airflow.
Next, the Saatva contains an active wire CertiPUR-US certified high-density memory foam. There are two layers, one above the coils and one below. This structure gives as much support as possible.
The last layer has 416 tempered steel, 13-gauge support coils that ensure that the mattress isn’t going to sag too quickly.
Pros of the Saatva Classic Mattress:
- That antimicrobial cover means that you don’t need to remove it and wash it, unlike the Purple Mattress, whose cover can only be spot cleaned.
- Saatva mattresses boast exceptional airflow, thanks to the pillow top and the dual coil system.
- The Saatva is a Hybrid, meaning you have the same support as the Purple’s grid system, if not better.
- The Saatva doesn’t have the memory foam feel due to that pillow top separating you from the layers of foam.
- That bottom layer of coils will make sure the shape stays steady for years. Sagging was a noted problem among some reviewers of the Purple.
- You can choose your own firmness rating.
Cons of the Saatva Classic Mattress:
- Since there are many springs in a Saatva, motion isolation isn’t as perfect as it is in other beds. However, the grid technology of the Purple can lead to motion problems, too.
- The bounce in a Saatva can be too much for some.
2 – The Puffy Mattress
Puffy mattresses are marketed as the most comfortable in the UK. They are so well-loved that Consumer Reports said they would “recommend Puffy for just about everyone.” The Puffy has more than 6 thousand 5-star reviews on its site and several influencers who are happy to pose on their Puffy.
Puffy mattresses were launched in 2016 from Los Angeles but quickly rose to become the best mattress in Britain and other countries. Puffy released its first mattress a year later after plenty of testing. It remains the best model so far, although research is ongoing.
Construction of the Puffy Mattress
Next, we’ll talk about what goes into the Puffy Mattress to make it so special.
The Puffy has a fully removable, fully machine washable cover. The second layer is a memory foam infused with gel, while the third is a temperature-neutral polyfoam, which stops overheating at night.
Under this resistance layer, there is a 6-inch layer of high-density polyfoam.
Most of the other products made by Puffy are bedding related, although its main product is still the mattress. Like Purple, it’s a relative newcomer to the market. That said, there are plenty of differences in the makeup.
The Pros of the Puffy Mattress:
- Puffy offers a 101-night sleep trial with lifetime coverage of the bed. If it breaks, you get another mattress. It’s known to be one of the best warranties in the business.
- The Puffy offers exceptional pressure relief according to reviewers. It’s enough to give the grid on the Purple mattress a run for its money.
- The temperature-neutral effect will keep you nice and cool in summer but won’t make you too cold in winter, as cooling gel-infused foams will.
- The Puffy is perfect for all types of sleepers, though stomach sleepers may prefer a firmer mattress.
- It’s excellent value for money and much less of an expense than the Purple.
The Cons of the Puffy Mattress:
- We don’t know if Puffy will live up to its lifetime warranty deal since it’s have only been trading for four years.
- Some say it is a little on the soft side, but they could have opted for a firmer Puffy.
As you can see, the Puffy Mattress can stand up against the Purple mattress any day of the week.
3 – The Emma Mattress
The Emma Mattress came from a German manufacturer and was created in 2017. It has grown to become one of the most popular mattresses of the decade, and with good reason.
Emma has expanded into 17 different countries in the four short years of its existence. In doing so, it has patented new technology that works with your spinal alignment at its forefront. It hopes to produce a great night’s sleep for its consumers but does so responsibly.
You will find that all mattresses Emma haul away are responsibly recycled or donated, if possible, to shelters.
To this day, Emma has 280 employees that speak 56 different languages. It is exceptionally proud of its team and with good reason. Emma mattresses are some of the most award-winning in the UK… and we are only one of the 17 countries they sell to.
Construction of the Emma Mattress
The construction of the Emma mattress is part of the reason that it is so popular. The whole thing is topped with a removable, washable cover, which gives it an immediate edge over the Purple Mattress.
Beneath the cover is a 1.5” layer of polyfoam designed to give optimum comfort. The density of this layer will change whether you order a firm, medium, or soft mattress.
The second comfort layer comprises a further 2-inch layer of memory foam. This acts as a transition layers between the top layers and the support foam beneath.
The lower layer is a thick and dense layer of foam. This polyfoam is 8 inches thick and is dense enough to give superb support for the whole base of the mattress. It should be sturdy enough to help the bed keep its shape over time.
The Pros of the Emma Mattress:
- It has a washable, removable cover.
- The Emma mattress has fantastic motion isolation technology that stops you from being woken up by a partner moving around at night.
- It is an excellent cooling mattress for those that sleep hot but can’t get used to the grid technology.
- Emma has won multiple awards for its innovative technology.
- The multi-lingual team will always be able to help you.
The Cons of the Emma Mattress:
- The full foam construction isn’t for everyone.
- The company is still too young to have an accurate overview of its abilities regarding the warranty.
4 – The Nolah Mattress
Those that can’t stand that memory foam feel, grid, full foam, or hybrid will love the Nolah Mattress.
The company prides itself on being the best foam-free mattress maker that offers a cooler sleep, better durability, and an estimated 4 times more pressure relief on the hips and joints.
The Nolah mattress is one of the first bed-in-a-box firms. This unique shipping method means vacuum packing beds and allowing them to expand over time upon contact with the air.
Bed in a box mattresses are that bit cheaper since the shipping costs less. Let’s look at how the Nolah is made.
Construction of the Nolah Mattress
The top layer of a Nolah Mattress is made of a stretchable, breathable, Tencel cover. These are known to be antimicrobial, reducing the need for removal for washing.
Beneath the cover is a 2″ layer of AirFoam polyfoam. This is Nolah’s own patented blend of memory foam which has twice the air contained within a standard memory foam mattress. It allows for more significant sinking for those that love the enveloped feel.
Beneath this, the third layer features transitional polyfoam. It’s only an inch thick, but it works to separate the bottom layer of denser foam from the softer layers likely to reach your back.
Lastly, the bottom layer is made of 7-inch high-density polyfoam that is sturdy enough to hold the whole thing together.
Pros of the Nolah Mattress:
- That Tencel cover is nice and breathable, as well as being antimicrobial.
- The Nolah hugs you and contours to your body as foam does, but without the feeling it gives you.
- The Nolah is a medium mattress, great for back and side sleepers.
- It is affordable by comparison to the Purple Mattress.
- It performs well in motion isolation and noise reduction fronts.
Cons of the Nolah Mattress:
- It’s a medium mattress, which doesn’t suit everyone.
- It has reportedly poor edge support.
5 – The Nectar Memory Foam Mattress
Another new player in the mattress game, the Nectar mattress was introduced back in 2017. It boasts over 300,000 happy customers and thousands of positive reviews for its products.
Nectar is a high-quality mattress manufacturer with a focus on using the best of the best materials. It quality controls each product several times, as we might recognize from the commercials. Nectar even tests bounce resistance.
Nectar is a mattress expert and a master of digital marketing. Its campaigns have seen the company shoot to fame as a mattress supplier of distinction. Let’s see how the construction matches up to the others on our list.
Construction of the Nectar Foam Mattress
The cover of the Nectar Mattress is a polyester blend and comes with an anti-slip surface. Admittedly, this isn’t for everyone. You can use your own mattress cover so you can remove it and wash it.
Under this, there is a 3-inch layer of comfort gel-infused memory foam. This is deep enough for you to sink in and for the foam to contour to the shape of your body. This layer supports those pressure points and evenly distributes your weight.
The third layer down is a transitional layer of dense polyfoam that is two inches thick. Beneath this, the support layer is 7 inches thick. This gives a great sturdiness and durability to the product.
Pros of the Nectar Foam Mattress:
- This is a medium-firm mattress, which is the most popular choice.
- The Nectar Mattress gives you an outstanding balance between contouring and bounce with those denser bottom layers.
- It offers a 365-night sleep trial so that you can try the bed out through all seasons.
- There’s no motion transfer or noise from this mattress.
Cons of the Nectar Foam Mattress:
- Since it is a new company, it is difficult to tell how well the edges will hold up to sagging without encasement.
- There is no cooling in this mattress, so it’s not for those that sleep hot.
Key Features of the Purple Mattress
This section will explain the positives and negatives of the Purple mattress in detail to help you understand why it’s such a consumer favorite.
Pros of the Purple Mattress:
- It is a great value mattress for the price that you will pay. It shouldn’t cost more than $1400 for the biggest size of the original Purple mattress.
- It is suitable for all types of sleepers, another great reason why that price is such a bargain.
- It supports pressure points, thereby minimizing back pain and providing relief for all types of sleepers.
- It doesn’t sleep as hot as a standard memory foam mattress because of the high volume of airflow through the grid.
- The grid has more spring-back than regular memory foam does.
- It doesn’t have the memory foam feel.
- It doesn’t mold to your body and suck you inwards like traditional memory foam.
- The technology behind it was so innovative that it blew the Kickstarter out of the water. Incidentally, the company also had a Kickstarter for its pet bed.
It’s not all good news, though. Some people don’t like the Purple Mattress, too.
Cons of the Purple Mattress:
- The Purple Mattress is heavy. You will want someone else to help you maneuver it into position if you have to move it around. It also requires a sturdier base than average.
- The Purple Mattress has only been in production for around 6 years now. This means we don’t know how they will stand the test of time. So far, so good, but check back in five years’ time.
- You will have to buy new sheets since they aren’t the same size as other mattresses.
- That stretchy cover isn’t removable for machine washing.
What is it that makes the Purple Mattress better than others?
The only real difference between the Purple Mattress and any other mattress lies in the patented grid technology. It provides support in ways that memory foam can’t quite reach.
However, some accounts report that it takes a few weeks of getting used to sleeping on a grid. Some people like it, others will never get used to it. If you like a full gel or a full foam bed, the Purple probably isn’t for you. However, we know about five others that are!
How to Choose the Best Mattress for you?
When it comes to narrowing down your choices, these five mattresses are a great starting point. They offer an option for those who want a hybrid mattress, those who want a full foam bed, and those who can’t stand the feel of foam but want something similar for the comfort factor.
Before you rush off and buy the Purple Mattress, we suggest you browse through the options above to see what alternatives are available to you. You might just find the mattress you have been dreaming of.
Try Something Different This Year
Don’t fall for the hype without shopping around. The Purple Mattress is excellent, but it doesn’t have the warranty of the Puffy, the adaptability of the Nectar, or the quality of the Saatva. Try something different this year, and it might change the way you sleep forever.