King Koil mattresses do not contain fiberglass. However, there have been reports that this mattress is too pricey when compared to the quality offered. Also, it has poor edge support and isn’t suitable for hot sleepers. If you don’t want to deal with these drawbacks, you should consider the Saatva. It also doesn’t contain fiberglass but you get better edge support and unrivaled breathability.
King Koil strictly used toxic-free materials and they are CertiPUR-US certified.
Yes. They sued B. Harris and others over a licensing agreement in 2017.
Who will love King Koil mattresses?
People suffering from back pain.
Who won’t like them?
Hot sleepers who need a breathable bed.
King Koil mattresses have a long history of providing sleepers with unparalleled comfort and luxury. Ever since this mattress brand was founded in 1898, it has been recommended by several organizations, including the International Chiropractors Association. If you are considering buying a King Koil mattress, you’ve probably done your research about the firmness, support, price, and comfort. But have you confirmed if it contains fiberglass? If not, you’re in luck because today we will be reviewing whether King Koil mattresses have fiberglass and educating you about the dangers of this material.
Does King Koil Mattress have Fiberglass?
The good news is that King Koil mattresses are fiberglass-free. The team of experts at Sleep Aim, after engaging in thorough research, concluded that King Koil mattresses do not contain fiberglass.
Our investigations started at King Koil’s official website where we discovered that this brand wraps merino natural wool and hand-assembled cotton calico around its mattresses. These two are popular natural flame retardants that are super safe to sleep on and even make direct contact with.
That’s not all, we visited third-party websites like Reddit and Quora. We didn’t come across a single review or comment associating the use of fiberglass in King Koil mattresses. Of late, sleepers are becoming more aware of the safety concerns associated with fiberglass in mattresses. And if someone had discovered fiberglass shards in this bed brand, they would have said something.
So, if you were worried about there being fiberglass in King Koil mattresses, you can take a sigh of relief knowing that these beds are free of this harmful material.
What is a King Koil Mattress Made Of?
Our research team was amazed by the fine selection of natural materials that King Koil uses in their mattresses. Here is a breakdown of what King Koil mattresses are made of;
- Graphite Latex – It enhances the mattress’s support, durability, and breathability.
- Joma Wool – It promotes comfort.
- Enkev Horse Hair – It’s part of the cashmere comfort layer.
- A Coil System Encased with Handcrafted Calico – Calico is a form of cotton cloth that is used to add both comfort and enhance fire protection.
- Talalay Latex – This is a superior form of latex that’s comfier, more breathable, and luxurious.
From this list of materials King Koil mattresses are made of, it’s pretty evident that this brand has a preference for natural materials. No wonder they do not use fiberglass in their beds.
Where are King Koil Mattresses Made?
Most mattresses that contain fiberglass are usually made in China. This is a red flag you can use to tell whether a certain mattress contains fiberglass or not. China, unlike the US, they do not have strict manufacturing standards. Therefore, most beds that are made there contain fiberglass beneath the cover.
King Koil mattresses are designed and handcrafted in the US. This means that they are manufactured using strict quality standards. And as a result, they are unlikely to have fiberglass or other harmful materials.
What is Fiberglass and Why Is It Dangerous?
There is a lot of discussion all over social media about fiberglass in mattresses. But most people don’t know what this material is and the safety concerns it poses.
Fiberglass is a composite material that’s made of glass fibers and reinforced plastic. It was mostly used in construction for insulation. However, with time, it became a common material in the mattress manufacturing industry due to its fire-resistant capabilities.
When a mattress is covered with fiberglass, it can’t be engulfed in flames because this material will prevent fire from spreading. Because it’s lightweight and thin, fiberglass will not affect the comfort of a mattress or its support. Manufacturers prefer fiberglass to other flame retardants because it is cheaper and it’s very effective.
From this description, fiberglass may seem like an excellent material to have in a mattress. But it’s very dangerous. Should you make the mistake of removing the cover of a fiberglass mattress, these particles can leak into the air and cause a wide range of problems.
Fiberglass particles can contaminate your home, furniture, and clothing. The worst part is that they are almost impossible to remove or clean, thus leading to loss of property. As if that’s not enough, fiberglass particles can be hazardous when inhaled or if it gets inside your eyes. These particles can also irritate your skin when you sleep on a mattress that is leaking fiberglass.
Due to these side effects, a lot of people are opting for fiberglass-free mattresses like those made by King Koil. The thing is, fiberglass is not the only flame retardant. There are plenty of options out there that are much safer and equally as effective.
Do All Mattresses Have Fiberglass?
Apart from King Koil, there are other mattress brands that do not contain fiberglass. A good example is the Saatva line of mattresses. Saatva is another leading seller of luxury beds. Just like King Koil, their beds contain natural flame retardants like wool and plant-based pulp.
Therefore, the bottom line is that not all mattresses have fiberglass, even those made out of memory foam. There are a few brands in the market like Saatva and King Koil that do not use fiberglass. Buying a mattress from either of these brands comes with peace of mind knowing that you are safe.
How to Know If a Mattress Has Fiberglass?
So far, there is no argument that King Koil mattresses are fiberglass-free. However, as a mattress shopper, you may be interested in another brand. Here are a couple of tips you can use to confirm if a certain mattress has fiberglass or not.
- Go through the mattress label – One of the easiest ways to know if a mattress has fiberglass is by reading through the label. On any mattress label, you should find a list of ingredients that are used to make it. If you see fiberglass or glass fibers on the list, then you can take the necessary measures.
- Find out the origin – We have already mentioned that mattresses made in China are more likely to contain fiberglass. If you inquire about the origin of a mattress and discover that it’s imported from China, this should raise a red flag.
- Ask the manufacturer about the flame retardant they use – A reputable mattress manufacturer should be honest about the materials used in their bed. So, if it contains fiberglass, they should let you know without hesitation.
- Evaluate the price – Most of the time, mattresses that are lowly priced often contain fiberglass. if the price tag of a mattress is too low, do some more digging to inquire about the presence of fiberglass.
Should You Buy a King Koil Mattress?
There are very few complaints about King Koil mattresses online. That’s a clear indication that this is a good mattress brand. King Koil has been in this business for more than a century. During this period, they have been one of the leading manufacturers of luxury mattresses. Below are some reasons why you may consider buying a mattress from them;
- They have a Massive Catalog of Mattresses – King Koil started with making traditional innerspring mattresses. However today, they have foam, latex, and hybrid mattresses. On their website, they have a collection of nine different mattresses ranging from Purebliss to Reserve Luxury. No matter how specific your mattress needs are, King Koil has got you covered.
- King Koil Uses Quality Materials – From the coils to the cashmere comfort layer, King Koil is very strict on quality. This also applies to their memory foam models. If the materials are of high quality, then you are guaranteed maximum support and durability.
- King Koil Prioritizes the Clients’ Safety – King Koil mattresses do not contain fiberglass or chemical retardants. As if that’s not enough, the brand has an affinity for using natural materials like Talalay latex and wool.
Like all other mattress brands, King Koil beds also have a few drawbacks. For instance, some people complain that these mattresses are too pricey. Other common issues include their beds not being very breathable and the company may not always honor the warranty. Also, the edge support of King Koil mattresses is not the best. If you are interested in a fiberglass-free mattress that is breathable and has amazing edge support, we highly recommend Saatva. This is a King Koil alternative that also makes luxury fiberglass-free mattresses and you are guaranteed of getting total value for your money.
King Koil mattresses stand out when it comes to quality, comfort, and luxury. This brand also uses natural flame retardants instead of fiberglass. If you are worried about bringing a fiberglass mattress into your house, you can confidently buy a King Koil mattress knowing that it’s safe. However, you should know that it’s not a flawless fiberglass-free mattress. It still has a few cons.