Siena mattresses are a great choice for budget shoppers who love the hugging feeling of memory foam. However, most memory foam mattresses, especially those with a low price tag, do use fiberglass as a flame retardant. Is Sienna one of them? Let’s find out.
Does Siena Mattress Have Fiberglass?
At the period of writing this article, it’s unclear whether Siena mattresses have fiberglass. This brand is relatively new and most of its mattresses were released in 2023. Therefore, many people are yet to buy this bed and share reviews about whether they contain fiberglass or not.
In our quest to find out if Siena mattresses have fiberglass, we looked all over Amazon, Reddit, and Quora and we didn’t find any complaints. On Amazon, however, someone had asked a question if Siena mattresses have fiberglass. And the answer given was sarcastic and lacked proof. Therefore, we didn’t consider this to be verifiable or valid.
However, there is a lot of suspicion revolving around Siena mattresses and the use of fiberglass. Siena is a new mattress brand that is owned by Resident Home. This company also owns Dreamcloud, Awara, and Nectar. The latter mattress brand Nectar has been found guilty of using fiberglass beneath its cover.
Apart from Siena’s relationship with Nectar, this mattress company makes inexpensive memory foam mattresses. Memory foam mattresses are the most common type of fiberglass bed. As if that’s not enough, Siena is yet to mention what type of flame retardant they use in their mattresses. When you consider these red flags, you need to be extremely cautious when buying a Siena mattress. Don’t worry, we will equip you with all the tricks you may need to identify fiberglass mattresses.
How to Know If a Siena Mattress Has Fiberglass?
If you are considering buying a Siena mattress, here are some of the methods you can use to confirm if it is fiberglass-free;
- Carefully go through the label – To know whether a mattress has fiberglass, all you have to do is read the label. If fiberglass is present, it will be listed in a percentage.
- Ask the manufacturer – In case Siena mattresses don’t come with a label, you can always reach out to the manufacturer. if they don’t give a detailed answer, then that should raise suspicion.
- Look for red flags – Sometimes, there are a few characteristics that give away fiberglass mattresses. If a bed is made out of memory foam and it’s super affordable, there is a huge chance that fiberglass is the primary flame retardant. Unlike wool or cotton, fiberglass is a cheap fire retardant and it’s commonly used in budget-friendly beds.
- Check if the cover is removable – A mattress with a non-removable cover is probably hiding fiberglass inside it. This is a key red flag.
- Do some little digging online – If someone has ever encountered fiberglass in a Siena mattress, they would definitely complain about it online. Therefore, in-depth research can unearth if Siena mattresses are fiberglass-free.
Why Should You Be Afraid of Finding Fiberglass in a Siena Mattress?
There are many reasons why you should be afraid of finding fiberglass in a Siena mattress. If you have been checking mattress stories on social media, then you must have seen the terrible experiences sleepers have to go through when they find fiberglass in their beds. You need to be afraid of fiberglass due to the following reasons;
- Fiberglass Can Trigger Allergic Reactions – People who sleep on fiberglass mattresses experience allergic reactions like sneezing whose cause is usually unknown. If you are always sneezing whenever you get to bed, shine a flashlight on your mattress and check for tiny shards.
- It Can Irritate Your Skin, Throat, and Eyes – This is the most common side effect of sleeping on a fiberglass mattress. When these particles touch your skin or get inside your eyes and throat, you will feel some irritation that can last for hours. On the skin, fiberglass will bruise and cause a painful itch.
- Fiberglass Can Make You Homeless – If you think that fiberglass in mattresses is a joke, wait until it gets all over your furniture and clothing. You won’t have any option but to throw the items away or pay thousands of dollars to have them cleaned by a professional company.
Do All Memory Foam Mattresses Have Fiberglass?
There is a myth that revolves around memory foam mattresses. It alleges that all memory foam mattresses have fiberglass. But we can confirm that this isn’t true. Most memory foam beds that have fiberglass are those that are inexpensive or imported from China. Unlike in the US, there isn’t serious quality control in China. Therefore, fiberglass is a commonly used flame retardant for memory foam beds made in China.
There are memory foam mattresses like the Loom & Leaf by Saatva which don’t have fiberglass. They instead use a natural thistle fire barrier that is safe and free of side effects. Instead of guessing whether Siena mattresses have fiberglass or not, isn’t it better to buy a memory foam bed from a brand you are sure of?
What to Do If You Discover Fiberglass in a Siena Mattress?
In case you buy a Siena mattress and discover fiberglass beneath the covers, you need not panic. There are measures you can take to protect yourself and your family from this hazardous material.
The first step is to inspect the cover. Never remove the cover of a fiberglass mattress as you will be making it easier for the particles to escape. Look for holes or dents. If there are none, invest in a mattress protector as soon as possible. This will keep you a layer further from the fiberglass.
Should you spot dents on the cover, get a plastic bag and place the mattress inside it. Then get rid of it as soon as possible. Sometimes, the fiberglass particles may have escaped out of the mattress and could be airborne. In such scenarios, switch off the HVAC and close your bedroom door. Get a vacuum and suck out all fiberglass particles. Please wear protective clothing to prevent inhaling or touching the fiberglass. When you are done, immediately start shopping for a fiberglass-free mattress. There are plenty of options out there.
What are Siena Mattresses Made Of?
Being a memory foam mattress, you won’t find many materials in a Siena bed. The top layer is made out of a poly-blend cover. Beneath that is the memory foam and there is a firm poly foam at the bottom for support. That’s pretty much it.
Is the Siena Mattress Toxic?
Siena mattress can’t be referred to as an organic bed because it’s made out of synthetic materials like memory foam. However, it is not toxic. These beds are CertiPUR US certified which means they have been tested and are free of PBDEs, chemicals, and heavy metals. Apart from the fiberglass uncertainty, Siena mattresses are pretty safe.
Should You Buy a Siena Mattress?
Siena mattresses are great for couples. The layers of memory foam offer unrivaled motion isolation. Therefore, you won’t feel the movements of your partner no matter how many times they turn. It’s also a budget-friendly mattress. If you don’t have a lot of cash to spend on a mattress, the Siena will come in handy.
Besides that, Siena mattresses have a firmness of around 6.5 out of 10. It’s not too firm and neither is it too soft. However, if you are a heavy sleeper, you will sink deeper into the mattress. On the downside, Siena mattresses are not very durable. They sag pretty easily and the edge support is terrible. If you like sleeping on the edge, you may find yourself falling frequently. Its responsiveness is a bit average.
Whether you should buy a Siena mattress is a personal choice. But from a professional point of view, this isn’t a mattress that will offer you comfort or luxury. You can buy it for the guest room. But if you intend to sleep on it, you won’t have the best experience.
The presence of fiberglass in a mattress is a huge cause for concern. Considering what this material can do to your skin, health, and belongings, you should avoid bringing it anywhere near your home. Its side effects are among the reasons fiberglass is no longer used for home insulation. About Siena mattresses, it’s not yet known whether they contain fiberglass or not. However, they do tick some of the characteristics of fiberglass mattresses. Therefore, you should be extra careful when buying a bed from this brand. Thanks to the tips we have shared with you, it should be effortless for you to tell if a mattress has fiberglass or not.